The 5 Cats of the Felis Lineage (largest to smallest)
The Felis lineage consists of 5 small wild cats in the Felis genus as well as the domestic cat (Felis catus).
The three Wildcat (Felis silvestris) subspecies are sometimes listed as separate species, and the domestic cat is not usually included.
The way this particular group is described often accounts for the differences reported in the total number of wild cat species.
1. Jungle Cat (Felis chaus)
2. Chinese Mountain Cat (Felis bieti)
Video Clips Taken in the Wild
|Jungle Cat Videos||Wildcat Videos||Sand Cat Videos||Black-footed Cat Videos
Click through on the images, videos and fact sheets above to find the answers to this quiz. Good luck!
1. Which species is the ancestor of the domestic cat?
2. Which cat is often quoted as the smallest cat species?
3. Which of these cats only occur on one continent (“endemic”)?
4. Which of these cats occur in the Americas?
5. Which cat only has the extreme end of its range in Africa?
6. Which species can breed with domestic cats and is thus affecting their pure bred gene pool dramatically?