The Panthera genus consists of five big cats which are the largest in the cat family.
Four of the big cats in the Panthera genus are the only wild cats that have the ability to roar, however they cannot purr like most other cats. The snow leopard is the big cat exception in this genus that cannot roar.
Other large cats such as the puma and cheetah have different characteristics and are classified under the Puma Lineage.
These big cats are also the most endangered due to the loss and fragmentation of their large territories, and wildlife trade in their body parts and beautiful skins.
5. Snow Leopard (Panthera uncia)
Big Cat Videos
NatGeo Wild - Big Cat Week 2017
Wild About Animals - Big Cats
Big Cat Diary - Tamu's Story
Video Clips of Panthera Cats Taken in the Wild
Panthera Genus Cat Quiz
Click through on the images, videos and fact sheets above to find the answers to this quiz. Good luck!
2. Which continent has no big cat species?
3. Which two big cat species are at the most risk of becoming extinct?
4. Which big cat is also known as a Panther?
5. Which cat in the Panthera genus cannot roar?