The 3 Cats of the Bay Cat Lineage (largest to smallest)
The Bay Cat Lineage consists of 3 varied cats in the Pardofelis (‘panther cat’) and Catopuma genera.
These cats inhabit the forests of South East Asia and have been little studied.
1. Asiatic Golden Cat
3. Marbled Cat
Bay Cat Family Classification
In scientific classification (taxonomy) the forest cats of the Bay Cat lineage belong to the cat family Felidae and the small cat subfamily Felinae. The higher and lower classifications of this group are as follows:
Species: Catopuma temminckii (Asiatic Golden Cat)
Species: Catopuma badia (Borneo Bay Cat)
Species: Pardofelis marmorata (Marbled Cat)
Video Clips Taken in the Wild
|Asiatic Golden Cat Videos|
Asiatic Golden Cat in Malaysia
|Borneo Bay Cat Video|
Rare Borneo Cat on Video
|Marbled Cat Videos
National Geographic - Marbled Cat Video
Click through on the images, videos and fact sheets above to find the answers to this quiz. Good luck!
1. What type of habitat do these three cats occupy?
2. Which cat was thought to be extinct until recently?
3. Which cat only occurs in Borneo?
4. Which other cat is the Marbled Cat similar to in coat pattern?
5. Which cat has a counterpart in Africa although they are not related?
6. Which cat lives primarily in trees?