The 6 Cats of the Leopard Cat Lineage (largest to smallest)
The Leopard Cat lineage consists of six Asian wild cats – five of the Prionailurus genus, some of which occupy wetland habitats and one cat of the Otocolobus genus which occurs in Central Asia.
1. Fishing Cat
5. Rusty-spotted Cat
Leopard Cat Lineage Classification
In scientific classification (taxonomy) the small Asian wild cats of the Leopard Cat lineage belong to the cat family Felidae and the small cat subfamily Felinae. The higher and lower classifications of this group are as follows:
Species: Prionailurus viverrinus (Fishing Cat)
Species: Prionailurus bengalensis (Mainland Leopard Cat)
Species: Prionailurus javanensis (Sunda Leopard Cat)
Species: Prionailurus planiceps (Flat-headed Cat)
Species: Prionailurus rubiginosus (Rusty-spotted Cat)
Species: Otocolobus manul (Pallas’s Cat)
Video Clips Taken in the Wild
|Fishing Cat Videos||Leopard Cat Videos||Pallas's Cat Videos||Flat-headed Cat Video|
|Rusty-spotted Cat Video
1. Which two cat species live in aquatic habitats and have a primarily fish diet?
2. What features about these two cats are similar?
3. Which is one of the smallest cat species of all wild cats?
4. What is very different about the Pallas’s Cat compared to most other cats?
5. Which is the most common small cat in Asia?
6. Which are the most threatened small cats in Asia?