The 3 Cats of the Puma Lineage (largest to smallest)
The Puma lineage consists of 3 diverse cats each in their own genus, differing in size, range and coat pattern.
These cats all originated in North America but only the puma is still found there.
The puma and cheetah are often viewed as ‘big cats’ as they weigh over 50 kgs.
2. Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus)
Video Clips Taken in the Wild
|Puma Videos||Cheetah Videos||Jaguarundi Videos
Books About Pumas / Cougars / Mountain Lions
Books about Cheetahs
Kalahari Cheetahs to be released June 2017
Puma Lineage Cat Quiz
Click through on the images, videos and fact sheets above to find the answers to this quiz. Good luck!
1. Which cat holds the record for the most number of common names?
2. Name a characteristic that separates the cheetah and puma, both often called big cats, from the true big cats?
3. Which two cats are primarily diurnal (active during the day) differing from most other wild cats that are primarily nocturnal (active at night)?
4. Which subspecies of one of these cats is almost extinct in the wild?
5. Which characteristics help the cheetah qualify as the fastest land mammal?
6. Which cat has two color phases?