The 3 Cats of the Caracal Lineage (largest to smallest)
The Caracal lineage consists of three cats occurring predominantly in Africa and are all medium-sized.
All three species predate on similar prey, however each cat occupies a different habitat thus reducing competition.
There are two species in the Caracal genus and one species in the Leptailurus genus.
1. Caracal (Caracal caracal)
Video Clips Taken in the Wild
|Caracal Videos||Serval Videos||African Golden Cat Videos
Click through on the images, videos and fact sheets above to find the answers to this quiz. Good luck!
1. On which continent do all three cats occur?
2. Which cats only occur on that continent and nowhere else (‘endemic’)?
3. Which cat has round pupils in contrast to most small cats that have vertical pupils?
4. What is similar about all these three cats?
5. Which cat is often confused with cheetah and leopards?
6. Which cat has only recently been studied in its natural habitat?
7. Which cat is often bred in first world countries for the exotic pet market?
More about this group of medium-sized African cats.