These wild cat lists are based on the 40 species classification of Felidae.
The lists are updated annually in November.
New list: Wild Cat List by Endangered Status.
Updates November 2019
- Clouded Leopard renamed to Mainland Clouded Leopard (Neofelis nebulosa) to distinguish from Sunda Clouded Leopard (Neofelis diardi).
- Leopard Cat renamed to Mainland Leopard Cat (Prionailurus bengalensis) to distinguish from Sunda Leopard Cat (Prionailurus javanensis).
- African & Asian Wildcat renamed to African-Asian Wildcat (Felis lybica).
Updates November 2018.
- No changes.
Updates November 2017
- No changes.
Updates November 2016
- The Wildcat group is now split into the European Wildcat (Felis silvestris) and the African-Asian Wildcat (Felis lybica).
- The Leopard Cats on the islands of Asia are now described as a separate species - the Sunda Leopard Cat (Prionailurus javanensis).
- The spelling of the Pampas Cat has changed from Leopardus colocolo to the more correct Leopardus colocola.
- The global IUCN Red List status of the Snow Leopard (Panthera uncia) has changed from Endangered to Vulnerable.
IUCN 2019. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2019-2. <www.iucnredlist.org>. 14 Nov 2019.
Kitchener et al. 2017. A revised taxonomy of the Felidae. The final report of the Cat Classification Task Force of the IUCN / SSC Cat Specialist Group.